Saturday, March 31, 2012

A singleton's challenges with houses and babies

Have you noticed that as soon as you step into your '30s , the significant village elder finds his or her way to your doorstep. Then he/she looks at your tummy and your rented digs reprovingly, does the head wag much like a ' bewildered elephant with really floppy ears' and volubly goes 'tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock'.
This kind of 'tick-tocking' sends most happy couples  into a fit of life-changing frenzied pregnant mortgage.
But what of the singleton?

I am surrounded by people who make buying houses and popping twins , seem like an easy breezy thing to do. While i make detailed route maps of my next vacation, or get  really excited about this month's 'wine club' order catalog,..most of my couple friends are getting pregnant and going under the 'EMI' hammer.It gets worse in your mid thirties when they are already on their second mortgages and second children and your still 'thinking about it.'
My question is How Do They Do It?

I too keep trying to buy houses. I too set out , on fine Sunday mornings , sacrificing my regular jaunt to the second hand book store and attend marketing events organised by 'new age builders.' These events normally take place in huge vacant plots, populated with colorful canopies, multi-purpose cars and hassled parents.  I sit on masked plastic chairs with the 'drooling dreamers' and squint through animated presentations of 'Tropical, Italian, Moroccan, Affordable Paradises, right in the heart of the city, just 10 Min's  away from everything which matters.'

But , how do you commit to spending the rest of your life with a bunch of  'mine is a bigger than yours' strangers? How do you commit to 1200/2100/or 3000 sq feet tucked between similar other 'carpet areas' for the rest of your life? How do you sign up to sharing germs and other effluents with your neighbor's children in the common pool? It seems like an end , and i don't want to give up on myself so fast.
I keep thinking , I can do better than that. The truth is, 'nothing you want is affordable.' The houses which beckon to me are never in my budget. The hovels which i can afford, just wont do. My councilwomen  have advised me to just invest for investments sake, but i don't agree. To think that i would deprive myself of a much needed vacation because of 'some 1200 sq feet' of brick and mortar which i don't ever want to live in , does not add up.

Similarly babies: I went to the gynecologist for my yearly appointment and she started 'tick-tocking' me from the word go. Not convinced with my carefree singleton status , she wanted to weigh me down with possibility. The absence of fertile sperm bearing partners in my life, did not seem to deter her one bit. All she wanted was to turn my Rs 300 for 10 minute session into a year of fertility jabs, donor eggs and IVF's.
I kept trying to convince her that i did not want to join the dance, but like a strict housemistress who stands guard by the prom door,she would not take no for an answer. She offered me a range of fiercely potent sperm all artificially seasoned to produce the best swimmers possible. I pointed out that I might be an unfit parent, since i worked all the time and had no support structure. She pointed me to Japa Maids . For the uninitiated ,' Japa is is a traditional way to look after a neonatal baby and mother so that both parties remain alive.' Japa maids cost Rs 900 per day. ha ha ha-evil laughter ( Read Contract Form)http://www.caregeneration.com/CareContract.pdf........ and so the finger pointing continued.

We 'Highway On My Plate' 30 + singletons are facing some severe challenges. True we don't have to battle with the pressure of in-laws and double mortgages, but what with the fall of morality and no one going ' chee chee' over single parents anymore, we are on our way to getting trapped by all the ' responsible symbols of middle age which we have tried so hard to avoid' - Ghar, Bachha aur EMI ka Kharcha.

So here my cry , fellow middle aged singletons-rally around
As, Bill Pullman says in   'Independance Day'-
We will not go quietly into the night! ( Read-We will, as they say in the South Of India- Make Purty till Don ) 
We will not vanish without a fight! (Read - into little cubic cms of block flats) 
We're going to live on!( Read-Travel The World, drink champagne in shoes, and not cry about salary packages)
Today we celebrate our Independence Day - (Read- We have just this one life and since no one gets to go to heaven with a mortgaged flat .. kindly excuse us from participating in social trauma traps)

Enjoy Maadi :)

6 comments:

heena said...

Too much E. am amused....great writing...I really didn't know this bothered you so much...been a while since I chatted up with u...do call sometime.

Heena

Kiran said...

elina, alternatives abound, as you are showing by the path you're living up!

kiran

Abhash Sharma said...

One thing is sure...ur mother n u dint think alike!

Unknown said...

Too good! Just don't give up the fight and go over to the other side! Your single friends are all there with you together in this fight :)

Almost everything comes from nothing said...

hehe funny and true.
keep these posts coming...
Diya

Pravin Mathew said...

Very interesting and engaging piece. I have a different viewpoint. These are also experiences which have positive aspects to them. Owning your own home gives a great sense of satisfaction and if a mortgage is the only way to get it (assuming your inheritance is going to be the same as mine), I think its worth it.

I will come back to you on the twins. In the meantime, looking forward to more posts.