Friday, September 21, 2012

The East Of Eden and my love for Steinbeck


Once upon a time, a silvery old man, on a hard wooden chair, nursing an unlit smoky pipe introduced me to a moth eaten, hard bound Reader’s Digest version of Steinbeck’s “East Of Eden”. He was my grandfather and I was eight, an age when you grasp only absolutes. The “wise Chinese houseman Lee” the dreamer inventor “Samuel Hamilton” and the “murderess Cathy” left an indelible impression on my still untarnished soul. But my eight year old memory buried the book under a pile of Neville Chute and James Herriot imagery. My only memory of the narrative was the half –dreamt “Cathy”,  a character who had shocked and  threatened to end the beliefs securing my childhood .
As I grew up, every once in a while, I dived into musty bookshops crammed to the gills , and started hunting, randomly reading paras from old books , desperately seeking  the name, the author, the unapologetic evil Cathy who burnt her parents, slept with her husband’s brother, delivered twins silently like a cat , abandoned them , killed the town’s Madam , usurped the town’s whorehouse , introduced S & M practices to pep up the place and built a “Reputation” in the same town  where her children and husband lived.  Stenibeck’s Cathy could bring Emily Bronte’s Cathy of Wuthering Heights fame to her knees. The latter may have tormented Heathcliff , been free-spirited, beautiful, spiteful, arrogant and childish but she could never fall to the depth’s of naked evil that Steinbeck’s Cathy could.
In the book, Sam Hamilton says, “I believe there are monsters born in the world to human parents. To a monster, the norm must seem monstrous, since everyone is normal to himself. To a man born without a conscience, a soul-stricken man must seem ridiculous. To a criminal, honesty is foolish”. To mark my bad luck, before I rediscovered the book, I found Cathy, twice. There is such a thing as pure twisted evil.  Feeding on the young, the warm, the weak and the good there are wretches in this universe who consume their victims, unleashing torture, madness, death, breeding hatred and in spite of it all sleeping fitfully, living , thriving, bursting with health . You must have seen them too.
And then one day, a year back, possibly  two decades after my original encounter, in an apple orchard in Raison, Kulu, surrounded by sheets of rain, I found it. The East Of Eden by John Steinbeck rested in an old walnut cupboard, beside a creaky wooden stair case, in a faded jacket cover. I couldn’t finish the book even though , I read through most nights. Though the rain poured steadily, there was too much laughter in the storm. The days were spent jumping mountains, cooking , singing, teasing and loving  my wealth of friends’ who were on holiday with me.
But the book possessed me. When I got back to Bangalore, I took a sabbatical and read as much of Steinbeck as I could …. till I was forced to work again.  East Of Eden, Grapes of Wrath, Sweet Thursday, Travels with Charlie, The Cup Of Gold, Log From The Sea Of Cortez. He gets it, the grittiness of human emotion, the way life often packs a double punch when you are down, and yet somewhere in the lost causes , out in the distance there lies some hope, as unreal as the “The Cup Of Gold”  and as real as the truth spun from those who claim to have seen it.
One day soon, I shall go to Salinas and like the good Catholics do outside the Pope’s Roman verandah, I shall kneel and kiss the grounds outside Steinbeck’s house. I will show obeisance to the man who used the simplest of words to spin one of the greatest tales in the world. A man who said,  “When a man comes to die, no matter what his talents and influences and genius, if he dies unloved, his life must be a failure to him and his dying a cold horror. It seems to me that if you or I must choose between two courses of thought or action, we should remember our dying and try so to live that our death brings no pleasure to the world.” 

No comments: